A new Transportation Construction Safety Center launched
November 1, 2017
The ARTBA Foundation has launched a new “Transportation Construction Safety Center” found at www.artbasafetycenter.org.
“Safety has always been a core ARTBA competency,” association Chairman Matt Cummings says. “The safety center is the online gateway to help industry professionals take advantage of the many programs and services that are aimed at improving safety for workers and motorists in roadway work zones.”
The Center features unique and wide-ranging safety programs and services, including:
- Policy development and legislative & regulatory engagement at the federal and state levels;
- Operation of the industry’s only internationally-recognized professional certification program—“Safety Certification for Transportation Project Professionals™” opened for exams in October 2016;
- Development and operation of an Online Learning Management System that offers safety training and professional development hours (PDHs) 24-7;
- Development and execution of federally-supported training programs and materials targeted to transportation construction workers;
- Operation of the National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse (www.workzonesafety.org) the world’s largest repository of information on the topic;
- Leadership in national safety coalitions and organizations;
- National awards programs to recognize and promote safety excellence; and
- A scholarship program to help children of highway workers killed or permanently disabled on the job pay for their post-high school education.
In the past two decades, these activities have resulted in many difference-making accomplishments such as federal laws requiring the collection and analysis of roadway construction safety data; providing safety training to over 100,000 workers; development of over 40 safety training courses and more than 25 technical guidance publications; and more.
A special 16-page supplement about the Center is also included in the September/October issue of Transportation Builder magazine, now in the mail.