Veterans Memorial Portal
San Antonio, TX
Linbeck/Zachry Joint Venture
May 2013 - May 2014
The Veterans Memorial Project is a multi-tiered, pedestrian walkway that connects the river landing and the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts. The portal includes granite monuments honoring local Medal of Honor recipients. A plaza with an outdoor performance venue features a giant video screen; which simulcasts performances from inside the center.
During construction special care was given to preserving the historical retaining wall lining the San Antonio River and protecting the existing trees and vegetation. The portal serves as an interactive public learning facility and creates an inviting transition space for the community between the River the Tobin Center.
The project features a river landing that connects directly to the River Walk.
- New Construction of a Plaza with Foundation
- Extensive Decorative Concrete Flatwork and Pavers
- Natural Stone Slab Terraced Walls
- Installation of Handrails, Guardrails, Benches, and Monuments
- Preservation of Historic Retaining Wall
- Connection to the San Antonio Riverwalk
- Audio/Visual Installation